Saturday, June 14, 2008

Just another Saturday night

I have writer's block.

I know, I know — you're thinking that I can't possibly have writer's block since I am writing right now.  But I do.  I cannot bring myself to write a paper that's due for my online class.  I have until noon tomorrow, and it really won't be a hard paper to write.  It's an imaginary dialogue between two military guys (or girls, I guess — it is my imagination, after all) about the pros and cons of military intervention and the responsibility to protect (also known an R2P).  I mean, this is as easy as a paper gets!  I get to make it up!  And yet, I'm stuck.

All I want to do is read the Post (Washington) or Times (New York) with my iPod on shuffle.  Or finish up "Hiroshima," which I started last night and only have one chapter left to read (the book was an impulse buy at the Newseum gift shop — it states on the cover that anyone who knows how to read should read that book, and I know how to read and hadn't yet read it — I felt as though I didn't really have a choice).  But I can't.  Not until I write this stupid paper, which is on a really interesting topic, but which I have absolutely no interest in writing.

You see, I can't procrastinate until Sunday morning, because I absolutely love watching the Sunday morning news shows.  It's a highlight of my week.  Although tomorrow will feel odd.  I simply can't imagine watching "Meet the Press" without Tim Russert.  I'm still shocked and saddened by his death.

I think it's interesting that we can feel loss for people we've never met.  It's definitely not a new sensation.  Just think back to the nation's reaction when Elvis died, or Marilyn Monroe, or Princess Diana, or Heath Ledger.  It's weird.  We don't really know these people at all — only the public persona that they choose to put out — and yet we feel like we do.  And we're sad when they die.

So, I'll get up tomorrow and turn on the TV to see what kind of tribute NBC offers to Russert.  But in order to do that, I need to turn my attention to this paper now.  Let's hope that the words start to flow freely.

No comments: