Tuesday, June 10, 2008

I'm in Love!

I am in love.

Completely, utterly, downright head-over-heels in love.  With the Newseum.

Brook and I visited the Newseum yesterday on our third date as unofficial museum buddies.  I have to admit, I had high hopes as I walked into that gorgeous glass building that I immediately recognized from "This Week" with George Stephanopoulos.  Being a former reporter, I knew the subject matter would interest me.  But I had no idea I would be so thoroughly blown away.

Brook and I were initially a little scared, given that there was a group of about 50 middle school children who began the exhibit only moments ahead of us.  (Side-note:  since moving to D.C., I've learned that I have a bit of a repulsion toward large groups of children, particularly when I encounter them in a museum.  I do not like tourists, and I do not like them to interfere with my self-educational experiences.  This could become a problem now that we're in full-blown tourist season).  I suggested that we let this rowdy group get ahead of us, and after a slightly awkward exchange with a Newseum docent, we had a game plan.  Brook and I would wait a few minutes for the next orientation movie to start, which would let the aforementioned youngsters get a good 15 minutes ahead.  Crossing our fingers that an even larger and more obnoxious group wouldn't enter the Newseum anytime in the near future, we were off to look at portions of the Berlin Wall and Checkpoint Charlie.

From there we entered the world's largest glass hydraulic-powered elevator (a fact I only know because the Newseum staff told us about 13 times), which took us up to the 6th floor and outdoor terrace.  There's a breathtaking view of the Capitol where George usually ends his weekly broadcasts, and which I dutifully photographed.  We didn't enjoy the views for very long, though, since it was about 105 degrees outside, so Brook and I quickly headed into the first exhibit.  This is where we spent the next hour and fifteen minutes.

There was SO MUCH to see!!!  Hundreds of newspapers declaring important events from Colonial times to the present day; a notepad that JFK scribbled on during a presidential debate; the door from Watergate; emails from staffers at the Wall Street Journal on 9/11.  Fascinating stuff.

When we (finally) finished up that first gallery, we moved on to the next one:  The 9/11 Exhibit.  Now, I had heard that this was the largest, most comprehensive gallery dedicated to the events of 9/11, but I wasn't prepared for what I saw.  A chunk of the antenna that used to sit atop the World Trade Center — wreckage from Ground Zero; a piece of the collapsed Pentagon wall; first-person accounts from journalists on the scene — one of whom didn't survive; and the most moving film about the day's events that I have ever seen.  I think everyone in the theater was crying at one point or another.  It was a very moving experience.

With this emotional part of the Newseum behind us, Brook and I moved ahead to lighter things.  I heard NWA and "The Simpsons" theme song, and I wondered, "What on earth are we about to see?"  My answer:  a very amusing exhibit about the First Amendment, along with information on everything it protects.  Can you name the five rights protected in this oh-so-important amendment?  Cue "Jeopardy" music now.

I won't go on and on about everything the Newseum has to offer, but I will mention some more of my favorite highlights:  a bullet-riddled truck; Daniel Pearl's passport and laptop; Bob Woodruff's flak jacket; a blood-stained reporter's notebook; the fallen journalist memorial; the Pulitzer Prize photo gallery; and the 4-D Theater (the fourth dimension is the sensation that you're actually feeling things that occur in the film.  I did NOT appreciate the sensation that rats were crawling on my feet.  Still, this movie experience is not to be missed).

I've heard that some people don't really like the Newseum.  They think it's a narcissistic homage to journalists, by journalists.  But as someone who used to be a journalist — and as someone who still deeply values and respects the profession — I thought it was incredible.  I spent four hours and fifteen minutes there, and I would gladly return.

The $20 price tag was initially hard to swallow, especially since this is The City of Free Museums.  I promise it's worth it, though.  It provides a good reminder of everything the press does, all the risks they take, and how important the Fourth Estate really is to our country.  It also blows every other museum I've visited out of the water.

Now I'm just waiting for my parents to visit again so I can introduce them to my new love — the Newseum.

No comments: