I know I'm not the first to blog about this subject, but I feel that I really must—especially since it's totally out of my usual realm. I'm talking about "The Bachelor"—in my opinion, one of the worst shows EVER made.
In fact, I think it's so stupid that I never watch it. Haven't since junior year in undergrad. This is mostly just because I think the basic concept—that you can meet and fall in deep and eternal love with someone over a two-month time period (while seriously dating other women/men)—is completely ridiculous. You hardly know someone after two months, and you certainly can't know if it's "meant to be" while you're actively dating other people! I find that my assumptions have been supported quite well by the fact that no couple from "The Bachelor" has made it to marriage, with the exception of Trista and the fireman.
Anyway. Because of these reasons and my strong personal feelings, I obviously was not watching what was billed to be "THE MOST DRAMATIC BACHELOR EVER." Personally, I'm a "24" girl. I prefer Jack Bauer and Tony Almeida. But that's just me.
I ended up watching the super-serious "after the rose" thinga-ma-jig, though, because my best friend texted me with "can you believe this?!? I'm pretty sure this is why I'm single," last night.
I, naturally, had absolutely no idea what she was talking about. Apparently, the Bachelor—Jason is his name?—had proposed to this girl at the end of the show. And then—in what ended up being five minutes later with the TV editing—decided to break up with her. On national TV. To date the other girl, with whom he'd initially broken up (so he could propose to the girl he was now breaking up with). Following me?
With my episode of "24" being over (SUCH a great episode!), I flipped over to ABC to see what the heck Carrie was talking about. My initial thought? Jason looks like an Oompa Loompa (seriously! Dude, take it easy with the self-tanner!). My second thought? How could someone who claimed to be in love with a person just break up with them on national TV without talking through their problems or expressing their feelings in person first? My third thought? This guy Jason is a toolbag. My fourth thought? Girl better keep that diamond ring and sell that s*#&!
Girl—Melissa is her name?—did NOT keep the diamond ring (stupid girl!). She gave it back to Oompa Loompa man after calling him an expletive. She obviously wasn't thinking clearly. There's a reason why diamonds are known as a girl's best friend. Not men.
Anyway, silly non-diamond-taking Melissa left the stage, and the other girl came on. By this point, the Oompa Loompa was crying again or something and saying that he just needed to be honest. So, initially-rejected girl—Molly is her name?—talked to Rose Moderator Guy and said she still hadn't gotten over Jason. Then Jason came on and told Molly that he'd just dumped his fiancee on national TV and wanted to try things out with her instead. Like a complete idiot, she got all giggly and giddy and said she'd love to see where things go. I say that he's an idiot, she's an idiot for taking him back (really ... who wants to be someone's second choice?), and they can go live their happy little idiot lives together. Until the Oompa-Loompa breaks up with her in ... oh, I'll say three to four months (after which I hope NO WOMAN IN AMERICA will ever go out with him again).
My point in all this is simple. Men, don't act like this Oompa-Loompa toolbag. Don't seriously date multiple women at once and think you can propose to one of them in eight weeks. Don't break up with a girl on national TV without talking to her first. Actually, don't break up with a serious girlfriend at all without talking things through with her first. And don't pretend to cry and be all emotionally sensitive when people call you on your BS. Take it like a man. Because if you're anything like this Jason jerk? You deserve it.
Women, don't accept a marriage proposal from a guy you've known for two months. You don't really know him, and it can't turn out well. Actually, don't even get involved with this guy when you know he's doing the exact same thing with at least two other women. You deserve better, but you're not going to get better until you realize that and start demanding more from the men in your life. And finally? Don't give a beautiful diamond ring back to your "fiance" if he tells you he's really in love with another woman (especially if he does it on national TV). Dude gave you that ring, which means it's yours for the taking. I'm not saying you should keep it as a souvenir of his toolbag-ishness, but you should certainly sell that rock on eBay if nothing else.
Hopefully this "most dramatic Bachelor EVER" has convinced most of you that you should not keep rotting your brain with reality "love" shows on TV. Women, you should realize that you deserve a gentleman who looks out for you and your best interest—not some tool that can't make up his mind and doesn't think of others when taking action. Men, you should take notes from Jason on how NOT to act with women. If you want some good pointers on how to be a gentleman and treat a lady, watch "Braveheart." Take notes from William Wallace. Please, avoid all things Oompa-Loompa.
I, personally, am embarrassed that I even partook in the stupidity that was "The Bachelor" last night (although I really only did turn it on to figure out what the heck my best friend was talking about). In the future, I hope you will all turn off the stupid reality shows on ABC and turn on something that's really important. Like "24." Jack and Tony are waiting.
No comments:
Post a Comment