
"Dance is the hidden language of the soul." That's one of my favorite quotes of all time. Martha Graham said it, and I believe it is 100 percent, absolutely true. My faith that dance speaks to us on physical, emotional, and spiritual levels was confirmed the other night when I saw the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater perform.
This wasn't the first time I've seen Ailey. Oh no ... I've seen them every year since I was 16. In my opinion, Ailey is the best dance company in the world. Period. And they have the ability to touch audiences in a way that many other companies cannot.
I'm a fan of classical ballet. I spent most of my life practicing the art form. I love Swan Lake for its technical immaculateness, I love Dracula for its originality and power, and I love Romeo and Juliet for its beauty (I can't watch Romeo and Juliet without crying).
But Ailey ... Ailey is something different. It's a modern dance company, and Ailey speaks to all people in a way that classical ballet can't always achieve. Ailey is just beautiful, spiritual, awe-inspiring, and joyful. To steal some adjectives from Ailey's own marketing campaign, the company represents "beauty, power, passion, strength, spirit, and joy." Their works are truly universal ... which is probably why the U.S. State Department sponsors international tours to expose the rest of the world to the power of Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater. On a more personal level, I am reminded that God created us and that we can be beautiful when I see Ailey perform. It really is that stirring.
This being the company's 50th Anniversary, they performed a show with excerpts from Ailey's most loved pieces. This was an amazing experience. I got to see pieces that I know well (having seen Ailey every year for the past nine years) such as "Night Creature" and "Revelations" (we'll come back to this one in a moment). But I also got to see excerpts from dances I've never seen before, such as "Cry," "For 'Bird' With Love," "Blues Suite," and "The Lark Ascending." I still find it remarkable that many of these pieces were choreographed in the '50s, '60s, '70s, and '80s, and they still have the power to make audiences laugh, smile, and cry. I cried twice during the evening—not bawling at the end of "Titanic" when Leo dies crying, but my eyes were definitely misty. And I couldn't count the number of times I had chills run through my body.
But "Revelations" ... "Revelations" is what always brings me back. "Revelations" is Ailey's most well-known and beloved dance. It could possibly be the entire dance world's most loved dance. "Revelations" is what draws audiences in again and again and again. Ailey varies its repertoire every night and every year, but "Revelations" is the finale to every performance. Why? Because it's perfect ... in every way possible. That, and audiences would revolt if they went to see an Ailey performance and didn't get to see "Revelations."
Alvin Ailey choreographed "Revelations" in 1960 (he founded the company in 1957). The entire dance is set to gospel and old spirituals ... which is likely a reason that the work itself is so spiritual and touches audiences on such a deep level. The choreography is immaculate; I really don't think a single step should be changed. The dancers are utterly astounding in their precision, power, and grace. And as cheesy as it sounds, the theater is filled with love as the company performs "Revelations." The audience loves the dancers, the dancers love the audience, and everyone shares an equal love for the dance itself. There is literally a palpable electricity in the air as "I Been 'Buked" starts to play and the lights hit the stage.
I truly love the Ailey men. They are astounding. I do not have words to describe how incredible they really are. Their lines, their strength, their muscle, their grace ... I imagine that this is how God created man to be. This is His image. Beautiful, powerful, tender, and joyful ... this is what men are supposed to be.
Their lines ... oh, their lines! Ailey men dance in such a way that their lines continue past their bodies. It is one of the most beautiful things you will ever see on stage. Their sautes are so extended and so forceful ... I know I'm getting into dance terminology here, but if you saw them you would understand.
But Ailey women are not overshadowed. They're beautiful, and soft, and strong, and graceful ... also what I imagine God intended when He created us. They show joy and they show sorrow; they show love, and they display a certain closeness to God. I have no idea what any of the dancers' spiritual beliefs actually are ... but when they're performing "Revelations" — particularly "Fix Me, Jesus" — they are close to God, and I feel the same way. It is in pieces like this that Martha Graham's statement rings so true. Dance really is the hidden language of the soul.
But all deepness and physical chills aside, there is no better end to any dance than "Rocka My Soul" (which ends "Revelations," in case you're a little dense). They dance, you smile, they finish, you applaud, they take a curtain call, you get on your feet ... and then they do a reprise of "Rocka My Soul" (this happens in every performance, and it is one of my favorite parts). By this time, the entire theater is on its feet (unless an audience member happens to be in a wheelchair ... otherwise, everyone is up), the dancers are breaking it down, the audience is clapping along and smiling, and some of the more gregarious patrons are dancing from their own seats. It's amazing. And it will cheer you up no matter how bad your day or week has been.
This is why I've asked my dad to buy tickets to Ailey when they're in Atlanta at the end of February. I happen to be home the weekend the company performs in Atlanta ... I mean, that cannot be coincidence! I really can't think of anything that would be better than seeing Ailey twice in one year. I really can't.

No comments:
Post a Comment