Thursday, November 13, 2008

A piece of advise, from me to you

If you're anything like me these days, you're anxiously checking your email for new and interesting job opportunities through our newly elected presidential administration.  I've submitted my application for consideration for a presidential appointment, and I'm sending in my resume to be kept in the big secret book of resumes for incoming congressmen.  Which means I'm checking and double-checking my resume every day to make sure it's on point.

In the spirit of friendship, I want to share a piece of advice that I received in one of those mass emails today.  I don't think I'm giving a perfect reference here, but I'm pretty sure it came from "Jobs that are LEFT" (or something along those lines) on Tom Manatos' job list.  So here it is, from me to you — some helpful suggestions to make sure your resume's ready for our new president:
  • Have an email address that contains your name.  This isn't the time to be creative.
  • Make sure your name and contact info are easy to find and are clearly printed at the top.
  • Please don't use an objective line.  Unlike leggings, this trend from the '80s has not returned.  Your objective is to get a job.  That's why you're sending a resume.  They get that.
  • Don't lie or exaggerate.  Your actual talents are good enough.  I promise.
  • Save your resume as LAST NAME, FIRST NAME.  Don't save it as "fallresume2008finaldraft."
  • Give detail — use numbers, dollar amounts, or other tangible evidence of your skills (i.e. recruited 35 people).
  • Use action words and eliminate "the" or anything else that makes your resume chatty.
  • Put some lines in that speak directly to the position to which you are applying (but only if it's true).
  • Use lingo appropriately.  Don't use it to show off or use it if it wouldn't make sense where you are applying.
  • Put some thought into the layout and your use of the paper space.  Make the document as attractive as it is useful.
  • Spell check.  Do it again.
  • Education goes near the end.  High school activities do not belong on your resume unless you are in high school.
  • Your resume is not your obituary.  You don't need to include every place of employment that you have ever had.  Be thoughtful about what you place on your resume.
  • Don't put personal information on your resume:  age, gender, race, measurements, photos, or references.
  • If someone wants your references, they will ask.  Don't include a line saying "references available upon request."  They know that, and you don't want to use up valuable space with this.
  • Include relevant community activities.
  • Remember that this is a marketing tool.  You are presenting yourself to someone who does not know you.  Be thoughtful in what you include, be concise in your language, and for the love of all that is holy, keep it to one page (there are exceptions, but only if you've got a WHOLE lot of really relevant experience).  This demonstrates that you can edit and make thoughtful choices about things.
And finally, send a thank you note to anyone you meet for an interview.  You may write a quick email note in addition, but you should always write — that means a note on paper, placed into an envelope, stamped and mailed — to thank anyone who takes the time to meet with you about a job. 

Happy job hunting!

1 comment:

Socially Conscious Voice said...

That's a great list. Of the tips I've heard, keep it to 1 page, especially if you're in your 20s. Most employers don't want to have to flip the page.

I hope you hear something soon!