Sunday, October 5, 2008

Fall is in the air

First of all, let me apologize to my faithful readers (all five of you).  I know it's been a while since I've been on here.  I don't have any great excuses — just the fact that school's started back up, and I've been busy with that (or busy with active attempts to avoid school; procrastination's not easy).  I'll try to be better in the future.

As I sat outside in our back "yard" all day, I couldn't help but think of all the reasons I love the fall — and more specifically, why I love DC in the fall.  There are the usual suspects that you find most anywhere in the continental US:  college football; the changing of the leaves; the crisp and cool, clean air; and a sky the purest shade of blue you could ever imagine.  And then there are the extra little joys that make fall in DC so very enjoyable.  Namely, the return of men in suits, and the exit of all those tourists (thank God — the Metro and sidewalks are ours again!).

Anyway, over the past couple weeks as I've walked to and from work, I've been struck by how much I really love this city — and by how much my favorite season accentuates all the good attributes of my adopted home.  As the rest of the nation rails against Washington, I have to agree with Leonard Downie Jr. and proclaim that this is a pretty nice place after all.

DC has a special kind of personality that I think is unlike most other American cities.  It provides an un-replicated air of history intertwined with progress; it offers a rare blend of family-friendly destinations, while also boasting an active nightlife; and it has a unique energy that drives its inhabitants, most of whom work within an arena that provides a mixture of power and public service.  Those inhabitants — who strive to attain power, influence, or (more frequently) the greater public good — have almost all come here from somewhere else, all in the hopes of achieving a better world while becoming a part of our nation's capital.  They've made this city the most educated in America, but they usually don't act with the pomp and circumstance that clouds other well-to-do areas in the US (Wall Street comes to mind).  Sure, our legislature and executive are flirting with all-time low approval ratings, but I think the general populace of this city is still pretty good.  And you'd be hard-pressed to find a locale with similarly inspiring character anywhere else on this continent.

For all those who've been expressing their disdain for Washington during the past couple weeks, I'd like to challenge you to fly in here and spend just a little time taking in what this city has to offer.  I dare you to fly into Reagan National and ignore the beauty of the District from the sky.  Be it the President of the United States or just a fifth grader on vacation, I would be shocked if anyone could look down to see the Capitol or the Washington Monument and not find a bit of awe or inspiration.  Or to fly out and not be struck by the sheer stature of the Pentagon, unmoving and resolute in its stance.  Better yet, let them drive by that five-sided structure and not feel a slight sense of intimidation — particularly if they unwittingly wind up inside the Pentagon parking lot.  (For those of you not familiar — all roads don't lead home in this particular area of the nation.  They lead to the Pentagon parking lot.  That, or the dreaded Dupont Circle.  It's kind of a problem).

Sure, the president has screwed up big-time.  He's made some horrible decisions in his tenure at the White House.  Congress hasn't done much better.  But I honestly don't believe many Americans could walk by the White House, or the Capitol, or the Supreme Court without feeling a sense of respect for our history, as well as the great strides we've made in the past 200 years.  I'm sure there wouldn't be too much Washington hating then.

The truth of the matter is this:  yes, America's facing some hard times right now, but I don't think the people who live here will ever resign themselves to failure.  And I think that makes Washington pretty great.  To be perfectly honest, the longer I live here, the longer I want to live here.  Especially on a perfect fall day like this.

No comments: