Thursday, October 16, 2008

Are we there yet?

I am so ready for this election to be over.  I mean, SO READY.

First of all, it seems like we've been in this election cycle for about 2 years now.  Which we kind of have.  I mean, people started announcing their candidacies back in 2006, and it's the end of 2008 now.  And I'm tired of it.

Not for lack of excitement.  Or lies.  Or negative campaigning.  Or absolutely, out-of-their-minds, crazy people.  Or arguments with loved ones ... and complete strangers.  No, we've got plenty of those.  Which is kind of why this election needs to be over and done with now.  It's getting out of hand.

I'm gonna go ahead and warn you — this blog may be a little biased.  I'm an Obama supporter.  And not that he doesn't have his fair share of crazies out there right now.  But the Republicans?  They're setting a new bar.

In the past couple weeks, the McCain/Palin rallies have turned into a spectacle somewhat reminiscent of rallies back in Nazi Germany.  OK.  That's a little harsh.  And not 100 percent true ... but it's got some truth to it.  And I don't have a better analogy right now, so deal with it.  You know what I mean.  

Whenever Obama's name comes up at these rallies nowadays, there aren't just boos.  There are shouts of "terrorist."  And "treason."  And "traitor."  And "off with his head."  And "kill him."

Seriously?  KILL HIM?!?!?  What is wrong with you people?!?  This is completely and absolutely unacceptable!!!  Good thing McCain and Palin were there to tell people to get a hold of themselves.

Oh.  Wait.  

That's right, amid cries of "terrorist" and "kill him" — which is a threat of physical violence against A PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE, mind you — McCain and Palin did ... nothing.  Absolutely nothing.  Now today die-hard McCain supporters are saying that they didn't hear the calls.  But that's completely false.  You can see it on McCain's face that he heard the shouts, and it surprised and maybe even shocked him.  But he kept right on going with his speech.  Not a single word to silence the crazies.  (Although I do have to tell you that his campaign later released a statement saying it didn't condone these "inappropriate distractions."  Because that's all a threat of violence really is ... an inappropriate distraction.) 

And that's not all.  No, the shouts that encouraged someone to actually murder another human being weren't enough.  Other people in the crowds got in on the act.  One guy started hurling racial slurs to a black cameraman.  I have no idea why — he wasn't Obama, and he wasn't wearing any pro-Obama paraphernalia — but I guess the slight resemblance was enough.  Oh, and no one else in the crowd told the aforementioned crazy racist guy that he was out of line.  Wonderful.

But ... you guessed it ... that's STILL not all.  There's a YouTube video floating around that just shows a steady line of conservatives filing into a McCain rally.  And there is a small crowd of pro-Obama protesters on the other sidewalk.  By this point, I'm sure you can imagine what happens.  Yep.  The McCain supporters start heckling the protesters (who don't seem to have said ANYTHING negative to the crowd whatsoever), and one guy even goes so far as to say that Obama supporters should die.  OK.  So now y'all want Obama and his supporters to die.  Gotcha.  (Do you see where I got the Nazi rally imagery from???)

I'll be the first to say that these crazies — who are clearly off their rockers — are not representative of everyone supporting McCain/Palin.  They're not.  But it's a problem when neither the Republican candidate nor the vast majority of his supporters will come out and denounce this type of behavior.  It's just not OK.  

Yes, McCain grabbed the mic from another lunatic at a town hall meeting the other day when she started going off about how Obama is dangerous and not to be trusted (that part was OK) because he was an Arab (that part apparently wasn't).  But McCain hasn't denounced the people who've shouted out that Obama should die.  On the contrary, he's come out in the past couple of days and stressed how proud he is of the people at his rallies.  (Really?)  And then, during the debate last night, he tells us how his feelings are so hurt because one random guy compared him to a segregationist.  Seriously?  Let me get this straight — McCain's feelings are hurt because of a comment that the Obama camp immediately denounced???  What about Obama's feelings about people expressing their desire for him to die?!? 

Regardless of your feelings about this election, you have to admit that things have gotten a little scary.  I think our nation is more divided now than it ever has been.  That's not Obama's fault.  Hell, it's not even McCain's fault (OK — it's a little more his fault — his VP is the one associating Obama with terrorism, after all).  Each side has become absolutely terrified of what will happen to America should the other guy (or in one instance, "that one") win.  It's not that either side wants to see America destroyed ... it's that they think the other side's solution will cause that very thing.

So, I'm ready for the election to be over.  Never before have I been so hurt by what people (family and friends) have said about me because of my views.  Never before have I been so convinced that someone will kill Obama ... or at least give it their best shot.  And never before have I been so disillusioned with my fellow citizens.  I don't care who you support.  But stop saying you want someone to die, and stop sending me emails that compare the Obama family to monkeys.  It's not OK.  If the rest of your party won't tell you, then I will.  Stop it.

We're almost there — 3 weeks and counting.  But in my opinion, election day can't come soon enough.

No comments: