Friday, October 17, 2008

Completely random but on my mind

I should be packing for my last-minute trip to Atlanta right now, but I'm not.  I'm watching AC 360 and thinking about a few random things, so I'll fill you in.  It may be random, but the whole purpose of this is to get in on my thoughts, no?

1. I am tired of the presidential campaign.  I know I just wrote about this the other day, but there are a couple more things that are irking me today.  Namely: 
  • Why do people think "elitism" in a president is a bad thing?  Don't we want an educated, intelligent, and calm man in the White House?  Especially after the past eight years?
  • Why are people beating up on my part of the country?  First we're Communists, and now there are only certain parts of America that actually love America?  Please.
  • Experience.  How is Barack Obama inexperienced and untrustworthy because he's only been around for four years, but Sarah Palin is new and exciting because she's only been around seven weeks?  What's good for the goose is good for the gander, people.
  • The undecideds.  This election has been going on for two years now.  We know the candidates.  They are completely different in almost every respect possible.  How can people not have made up their minds yet?
2. That being said, there are certain parts of the presidential campaign that I'm actually enjoying.  Namely:
  • The SNL reenactments.  Tina Fey as Sarah Palin?  Awesome.  And the writing's not too shabby either ... "You dopes just got schooled, Biden style!"
  • The candidates roasting themselves and each other last night at a charity event in New York.  "Contrary to what a lot of people believe, I was not born in a manger ... I was born on the planet Krypton."  And "The person who gave me my middle name obviously never thought I'd run for president."  McCain had some funny lines too, but they weren't as memorable (at least to me).  Why can't they be like this all the time?
3. Fall.  It's back.  After more than a week of temperatures in the mid-70s or above, the cool air has finally returned.  And I'm loving it.

4. I had my last advising appointment today.  Ever.  Which is absolutely crazy to believe.  Didn't I just start grad school?  It feels like it ... how can I be almost finished?!?  Not that I'm complaining.  I've got senioritis already, and as much as I like school, I'm ready for it to be over and back out in the real world (mostly — that thought kind of scares me too!).  Barring any catastrophes or unexpected events, I'll be graduating May 9.  Be there or be square.

Now, on to packing.  Enjoy your weekend, everyone!

No comments: