Saturday, October 24, 2009

What ARE those things?!?

So, I've been enjoying a wonderful college football Saturday, and it's been a pretty good day so far.  We had a bye week, so no real stress for me ... but so far, all the teams I've pulled for have won (I have a feeling this will no longer be true after the Florida/Miss St. game, but what can you do?).  Anyway, a lovely football Saturday.

Except there's this one thing.  And it's driving me crazy.

I guess I started noticing it last year, but it's become really prominent this year, and I haven't been able to figure it out ... and it's getting more frustrating with each passing week.

What, you may ask, is this infuriating thing that's pushing me to the edge of reason?  That's the problem.  I have absolutely no idea.

You see, the players have started wearing these weird little armband things just above the elbow/s.  They're not sweatbands — in fact, they strongly resemble tourniquets — and not everyone wears one.  And those who do may not wear them on both arms.  And then there are some other guys who wear two on each arm.  And — if you can believe it — I just saw a guy wearing two of them on each of his legs (clearly a first for me)!  It appears as though these little armband things come in a variety of colors and usually complement the team's colors.  But I can't figure out their purpose.

I asked some friends.  No one knew.  I asked my dad.  He hadn't even noticed them until I brought it up.  Finally, nearing my wit's end, I asked the Internet.

According to what's posted on both Yahoo Answers and Wiki Answers, there seem to be two main purposes:  1) To prevent sweat from dripping down the arms and making your hands all sweaty and slippery, and 2) because it's the cool thing to do right now.  And if my recent research has shown me anything, it's that purpose #2 is the real culprit behind the weird tourniquet/armband/elbow protector thingy that's all over our football fields today.  In fact, as the NYT reported, it's only fashion (apparently I was a little slow with my powers of perception; the article was printed back in 2008).

Seriously?  Everyone's actually only wearing them to make their muscles look bigger?  I really just thought that was my initial assumption ... which I thought was stupid.  I got excited about the prospect of these armbands serving an actual purpose (you know, keeping the hands free of sweat), but I did feel a little dubious about that since players already wear gloves.  Seemed kinda like overkill.  I guess Nike called it best when they came out with their own "bicep bands."

Well ... I guess I have to wrap this up with a small sense of letdown.  I wanted the arm thingies to be super-important ... not just a fashion statement and a way to flaunt your muscles.  But Florida's winning now (vomit), and the mystery of the bicep bands has finally been put to rest.  Now I will finally be able to watch my college football games in peace.  No, that's not true.  I'm an SEC girl.  I cannot sit in peace during a football game.  That's just silly.  Soooo ... I guess I should really say that I can now watch my football games without becoming infuriatingly frustrated over the purpose of the stupid "bicep bands" (I still don't know what they're made out of).  Now I just need Miss St. to put Florida (and Tim Tebow) in their place.  After all, Florida fans still wear jean shorts.  Even if their players do look like they have large biceps.

No comments: