Despite all that, I am very excited that 2009 is here. I know it's only been two days and all, but I had a spectacular time on New Year's Eve, I had a great day of nothingness and college football yesterday, the Dawgs pulled out a convincing bowl win, and I've had a nice day of reading and movies today. So far, it's already kicked 2008's a$$.
2008 just sucked. Seriously. From the very start, it was a horrible year. I place some of this blame on my best friend Carrie, who told me that "it can't get any worse" when we were bidding adieu to 2007. That's the kiss of death. If you say it can't get any worse, then it invariably does. And it did. The very first day of 2008, I had my first seizure, stopped breathing, and turned blue for a few minutes. It was not a good start to the year.
It didn't get much better either. The Dawgs started the football season ranked #1. We quickly let that curse take hold and proceeded to lose three games (I understand that's not that bad for some of you out there, but this is the SEC. Any loss is devastating, and 3 losses is embarrassing. Particularly now that 'Bama's getting schooled by Utah in the Sugar Bowl and Tech got seriously schooled by LSU in the Chick-Fil-A Bowl. But I digress). My health started off poorly and didn't improve much as the year went on. I had the flu and a fever of 104 on my 25th birthday; I contracted active CMV over the summer (thanks, suppressed immune system) and could barely do anything; I had a seizure over Thanksgiving; and I saw a doctor or had some test done every single day of Christmas break except for Christmas day itself. But the real tragedy of 2008—and the most heartbreaking experience of my life—was when one of my best friends passed away from ovarian cancer at the age of 26.
To put it simply, 2008 was a horrible year. Not all bad—there are always redeeming moments and good memories in any situation, whether good or bad—but as a whole, 2008 sucked. Now, I'm not expecting miracles in 2009, but I am going into the year with hope. I'm hopeful that this will be the year I stay out of the hospital, no matter what holiday is being celebrated. I'm hopeful that our new president will make good on his promises and really improve people's lives. I'm hopeful that only good things will happen to those I love most, and that only happy memories will be made. Oh, and I'm hopeful that Matt Stafford will come back for his senior year and lead us to a national championship.
So, that's where I am, and that's how I'm approaching this year. And in the spirit of New Year's traditions (you couldn't force me to eat black-eyed peas or collard greens, but I don't reject all traditions), I'm going to write down my resolutions for all to see—and hopefully to hold me accountable.
- Learn French. I got Rosetta Stone for Christmas, so there is no excuse for not learning now.
- Get a job—one that pays well, has amazing health insurance, and lets me find joy in my work.
- Get in shape. Jamaica is only 130-something days away!
- Embrace my life, no matter where it leads and what I do.
So, there it is. 2009's here, and I'm looking forward to what it holds in store. But I really hope there are good things ahead.
1 comment:
I like your spirit towards 2009 and I agree that 2008 was quite a stressful year. I've been contemplating my resolutions and I'm wondering if there's a difference between them and goals? I have goals for 2009. Like be a published author, find a job in my field, finish the book I'm currently writing, get my foot healed, and get back into running. Do those count?
I hope 2009 treats you better. And with all of the ups and downs, we all just have to have faith that everything happens for a reason.
Post a Comment