This day last year was my first as a resident in a new state and city. This day last year, I was about to begin my life as a graduate student. This day last year, I was sad for what I'd left behind and hopeful for what lay ahead.
In my mind, the possibilities were endless. How did reality play out? It wasn't necessarily what I expected, but it certainly didn't disappoint.
So, how do I measure this past year? In new friends made? Plenty, and I know several of them will be close friends for life. In snowfalls enjoyed? About three. Sure, we had more snow than that, but after the third blanket, I was just ready for spring. During this past year, I've learned the fun and excitement of new snows give way to the gray, ugly slush that just won't melt. But I've still got to say, nothing beats those first three. In classes taken? Eight, some of which felt like Chinese water torture (statistics, anyone?), and some of which were invaluable — for what I learned about myself if nothing else. In hospitalizations? Two, which is a number much higher than I'd hoped for or expected, but it's lower than it could've been, so I'm thankful for that. In new love affairs? One. I fell in love with DC and everything it has to offer. In past loves resurrected? Also one. I remembered why Atlanta has always had my heart. In football games won? 11 (we didn't make the championship, but at least we beat Florida!). In hardships faced? Many. In moments of laughter? Thousands.
This day last year, I didn't know any of that. I didn't know what was in store. All I knew was that it was a time of change, and that's nothing new for me.
August has always been a time of change; a time of new beginnings and fresh starts. The new school year always started in August. I went away to college in August. I started my first real job in August. I was diagnosed with a disease in August. And I moved to DC for grad school in August.
I'm not expecting quite as much change as I underwent last year, but it's August again, so I know the only thing to expect is the unexpected. This August, I'm going into another school year, but this time as a second-year grad student. This August, I have more close friends than I deserve. This August, I'm still looking forward to what the future holds.
This August, I don't know what's in store. I don't know if it will be a good year or a bad one, a hard year or a fun one. But I do know that I'm glad I've made it this far, and I don't regret any of the moments that have brought me here today. Given the chance, I don't think I'd change a single thing.
It's been 525,600 minutes. 525,000 moments so dear.
No comments:
Post a Comment