But there's one thing that I really miss, especially since the summer began: sweet tea.
And I have to ask—why don't people drink it here???
I mean, I might—and I emphasize might here—understand if I lived in, say, Boston or even New York. Somewhere well above the Mason-Dixon line. But I live in DC. Technically, I live in Northern Virginia, which makes sweet tea's absence even more upsetting. I mean, I'm south of the Mason-Dixon line, and I reside in the state that was home to Robert E. Lee. Why don't they serve sweet tea???
It's not like I haven't tried to get it here. Really. When I'm out at a restaurant, I ask—with my most charming Southern smile—for sweet tea. But invariably, I'm met with a) a look I'd expect to receive if I'd just asked my waiter/waitress to bring me some crack as a side to my salad, b) a look of earnest surprise, or c) a look I might get if I'd just ordered my meal in Farsi.
It started out as a blip. I ordered sweet tea at lunch one day. It was in the 90s outside, I'd been doing the tourist thing and was hot, and I wanted some ice cold sweet tea. I could barely wait.
And then my waiter said those dreaded words: "Oh, well, we actually have unsweetened tea. Is that okay?"
No, it was decidedly not okay. Why would I (or anyone else for that matter) want unsweetened tea? I changed my order to a water with lemon. Strike one.
A couple weeks later, I was again out to lunch and again tried to order a sweet tea. But this time I asked first (which any good Southerner knows is completely unnecessary in the Southland). And again, the answer was no. They had "regular" tea, as well as a variety of fruit teas and some other thing that did not sound appealing at all. Disappointedly, I ordered the raspberry tea, which I have to admit was pretty delicious—I highly recommend the raspberry tea at Matchbox. But it still wasn't sweet tea. Strike two.
I was discouraged—understandably so—but still hadn't given up. I tried one more time, this time at dinner a few days later. I had high hopes, remembering that the third time's the charm. But not this time. Once again, the restaurant didn't have sweet tea! Although the waitress helpfully pointed out that I could get "regular" tea and then add synthetic sweeteners to it. Why on earth would I want to do that? Synthetic sweeteners don't dissolve in iced tea! So why would I want to drink grainy semi-sweet tea? Yuck! This was strike three. I had most definitely struck out.
Am I the only person in the District of Columbia that wants to drink sweetened ice tea? Maybe I am. I mean, why else wouldn't restaurants serve sweet tea? It's not like the recipe for sweet tea is rocket science: Step 1 - brew tea; Step 2 - pour a bunch of sugar into it; Step 3 - serve over ice. Viola! You magically have sweet tea!
Luckily, I won't be deprived of sweet tea for the entire summer. I'm waiting with bated breath until next week when I return to Atlanta for a few days. You'd better believe that I will be drinking more than my fair share of sweet tea during my stay, but I'm still a little distressed as to what I should do when I come back up North. Maybe I should start a petition to bring sweet tea into the District. Is anyone with me???
No comments:
Post a Comment